Monday, October 30, 2006

Metaphorical pumpkin flesh

Here is this years pumpkin in memory of Syd Barrett who passed away this year.

I enjoy working with something that is difficult to control and hard to see the end product until the lighting. As you can see from the photo on the right it
looks like a cracked pumpkin. I wish I had a better camera to show all the little hair line slits I put in to define the shape of his head.

The title of this post comes from the fact that working on something that seems flexable will crack when too much force is introduced, also the fact you can't see what is going on until you put the light on it the right way have many connections to the way life is. Compounded fact as well that I am doing a memorial to a man who lost his mind in his early twentys due to too much LSD. Moreover is the fact that he started a fire in the world that many people felt the warmth of and that can't make matters worse.

Happy Halloween
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 7:17 PM

8 Comments:

I suspect schizophrenia was his destiny with or without the self medication.

That is an AWESOME pumpkin!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 PM  
I'm a big syd fan, I posted on his death.
Blogger kevin, at 10:04 PM  
That's superb, Jed. Crack when too much force is introduced. How apt.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 AM  
You are amazing.
Blogger Newscoma, at 6:13 PM  
I've linked this one.
Blogger kevin, at 6:41 PM  
Appropriately unique for the holiday. Good luck with your daughter.
Blogger Anne Johnson, at 3:03 PM  
Holy broomsticks, Jed. THAT's a great pumpkin!
Blogger Kelvis, at 7:20 PM  
Likely is not present
Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 PM  

Add a comment