Sunday, November 18, 2007

Jed the amateur designer

As y'all may know Jed likes to dabble in the graphics business. I could never quite forge a living out of it when I attempted it previously, so currently I work as a maintenance guy for the scrappy little city on the Tennessee river known as Knoxville. I love this damn valley with all its faults and quirky inhabitance. I fit right in having a fair share of faults and quirks my own self.

Anyway I like planning for making things, useful things, things that make my soul feel creative. I always say pixels and thoughts are free, so use them. Car parts and hardware cost an unattainable penny around here, but I am free to dream no matter how much my bank account holds.

The drawing below is a clamp design for hanging a Christmas star downtown by clamping an aerial cable to a fragile ancient building. I hope to bring you some more details on this as the project progresses. I try and play my part on the team and use my pixels and imagination to help expedite a task. Sometimes it makes matters worse, but never worse than failing to try at all.

The next two drawings are for a Facilities cohort who keeps bees and needs a label for the fruits of his work. I was pondering a shape that had visual interest yet used the best yield of printed sticker material while looking nice on several kinds of jars and jugs. I gave him an icon bee shape to use as filler on the sticker stock, so he can place them on the lids if he wishes. I call it "King Bee" 'cause of the "K" (which really stands for Kelley), and it don't make matters worse to fantasize there is such a thing as a King bee.



This next two are a "what if" Ford still made its Jeep type vehicle the lovable Bronco in 2008. Cars always make me think of a lyric, Little wheel turns by the fire and rod, big wheel turns by the grace of God. It is not complete, so it is, what it is, just a blurry dream to not make matters worse.

click on any image on this here page and see it larger
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 10:23 AM

7 Comments:

Alright then; I'm tuckered out just reading about all that stuff you did this morning. Thanks for towing the load, ole Jed.
Blogger earlnemo, at 10:58 AM  
Whoa.
Man, these are really good.
Blogger Newscoma, at 11:43 AM  
I wish I could have the chance to fabricate that clamp for you. It is excellent. Parkey's labels and the new Bronco... WOW! You are a master of design... A jed-i of sorts... Master jed-i.
Blogger Basegasket, at 5:01 PM  
Like your clamp. I have had a clamp design running around in my head for a few months now. Only mine is for holding flower arrangements on tombstones.
Blogger Bro. Byron, at 11:13 PM  
I hope you start this thing back up this year, Jed. I miss it.
Blogger earlnemo, at 12:54 PM  
You are too kind Earlnemo!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 7:06 PM  
Thanks for this blogg post
Anonymous Baker Vicente, at 6:29 PM  

Add a comment