Tuesday, October 30, 2007

JB'O'Lantern and Halloween



Happy Halloween! I finished the James Brown tribute pumpkin (pictured above click 'em for bigger). It is so difficult to find the best viewing angle and camera settings to capture a carved pumpkin. I adjusted the contrast a bit to cure some of the blur and show the glow of the gourd.

I am not as pleased with this years effort as some years past for a number of reasons most of all the affordability of an extra large squash canvas due to the worst drought in a hundred years. A larger platform allows me a larger image which means more detail. Another disappointing fact was a great usable image without a microphone or a hand or both in front of his wailing face. I noticed in my research of the subject he never keeps his eyes open while giving his trademark squeals.

All Hallows Eve seems to mark a moment where the dead and living can coexist. So if the Godfather of Soul Mr. Brown can walk up and see, I hope he approves.

It can't make matters worse to conger a memory of a remarkable artist, especially when he has the best traditional chance to see our efforts.

:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 8:23 PM

6 Comments:

That's an amazing picture and pumpkin carving job. I had to squint really, really hard to even see the pumpkin.

Bravo!

We just did round eyes and a triangle nose and a scary mouth. Ho-hum.
Blogger dsbowers, at 11:04 PM  
Excellent stuff again, Jed.
Blogger Richard, at 4:18 AM  
A happy sigh...
I love your James Brown Pumpkin.
Blogger Newscoma, at 8:09 AM  
Jed, you are a powerful creative force. I love it!
Blogger Basegasket, at 8:12 PM  
i am always amazed at whut ye kin do! tiz a nuther amazin pumpkin.
Blogger buddydon, at 2:45 PM  
That's amazing, Jed! thanks for sharing.
Blogger MountainLaurel, at 10:04 PM  

Add a comment