Monday, May 14, 2007

Worry, worry, worry...hope.


All the doctor would say to ease our worry about the melanoma he found on my dear daughter's back was, "profoundly unusual in a person fifteen". Her mom took her to the doc to see about this little black spot on her right shoulder blade a couple of weeks ago. A couple days ago it came back positive for melanoma. She went today, her fifteenth birthday, and saw the surgeon and oncologist. They will be cutting a 2 inch by 3 or so inch almond shape gash of flesh as deep as the muscle will allow without damage in my dear daughter tomorrow.

I tried to tell her that being under general anesthesia is not as bad as it sounds and to not be afraid, because they do it every day. "Yea", she said, "but not to me!"

Now thats profound!

I hope this thing has not progressed any deeper than what they take out tomorrow. If I could just have this wish, I would give my very life. It seems that a spot on the trunk of the body is about as complicated as it comes when trying to track its path to a lymph node, because the nodes for the back are inside the chest cavity.

Just please help Jed to not make matters worse and think a good thought or two for me and mine when you get a spell to do so. Thanks

Update Friday 5/18:
Thanks all for your positive energies and sweet prayers! The big chunk out of her back that did not show or indicate any advanced progression of cancer! They are still going to do a full upper body MRI sometime next week so keep doing what you are doing!

It is not making matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 9:23 PM

15 Comments:

Hi TN Jed, just following the links to your flag...

Good thoughts are heading your way for your daughter. I know worrying does not help, but we can't help but worry, can we?

Thinking of you and your family.
Blogger Susan Tidwell, at 8:26 AM  
Our children. Can nothing rip us deeper than the thought of them hurting? Jed, I will keep your child in my prayers, and I also pray for strength for you and Momma. Hugs, jojo
Blogger Jojo, at 9:02 AM  
yall are in our prayers, jed. we shore hope thisn cums out ok. i wish thay wuz more we could do.
Blogger buddydon, at 1:11 PM  
Jed, just remember the good lord doesn't give us a test just so he can watch us fail. Keep your chin up,, thoughts and prayers going out to you and yours
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM  
I'll be remembering you and your family during this time. Hope everything works out for the good.
Blogger Bro. Byron, at 2:36 PM  
Jed, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Blogger Richard, at 3:29 PM  
Thanks all! I am just back from a 12 hour day at Children's Hospital. Eyes full of tears. All should be well as best surgeons can tell for now. Pathology will give us a clean bill of health come Friday, I pray.

She has a huge wound with a drain bag. Woke up in some nasty pain...breaks my heart she has to endure this. I am sure she will be fine, tough as a pine knot, like her old dad.

Jed-heuristic prophet logic of the day: "If life is pain, then one needs to develop a masochistic desire to live."
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 6:59 PM  
I can imagine how I would feel in your position.My thoughts are with you and your family.
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Much love...
Blogger Phil, at 7:15 AM  
Many candles will be lit to Queen Brighid the Bright for your daughter! Melanoma is very curable if found in time. I'm so glad y'all took that little black spot seriously.

It is unusual in someone that young. Keep her out of the sun!

From "The Gods Are Bored"
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  
Dear Jed,
My thoughts are with you and your family and I wish for the best outcome for your daughter.
Blogger red molly, at 8:10 PM  
Oh, Jed...I'm so sorry she and your family are going through this, but thankful that it has not spread. Hugs to each and every one of you!
Blogger Rosie, at 8:41 AM  
Thanks for the update Jed. Fingers are still crossed.
Blogger Richard, at 4:59 PM  
Holy guacamole, Jed. I just read this today (5/26). I really should read more often.

I hope your little girl (I bet she hates that) is doing ok. Please keep us all posted.

GOOD THOUGHTS X infinity!!!
Blogger Kelvis, at 10:22 PM  
Hugs to you and your family.
I'm thinking of you and I hate that you are having to go through this.
Blogger Newscoma, at 8:15 PM  
Hello JED,

I read your blog whenever I can to catch up on what's going on with you and family.

Your daughter's plight captured my jaded heart and I have to send my love and prayers to her. God bless her little Greene heart.

Best Regards,

Tennessee Timetraveler
"trying to improve the process"
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:59 AM  

Add a comment