Sunday, April 08, 2007

You never gain something...


...but that you lose something. Quote stolen from "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". I saw something on Craigslist for sale that made me think of that book and the philosophy it presents. It is the same typ
e of bike the author John Pirsig took across country with his son. His novel made me think of how the micro dynamics of machines were similar to the metaphysical part of being human as my wife and I took turns reading aloud a chapter at a time when we had no TV.


These bikes had wonderful design in form and function.


A sweet barn find of a Honda Super Hawk for sale fairly cheap made me start that dreaming thing once more about having a motorbike. The price made me think it was possible, but the fix up cost would leave me face down once more when I considered everything as a whole. I did make a phone/internet friend who has ties to this big motorbike shop near Nashville.


He did encourage me to keep the dream alive in my heart, because dreams are affordable and don't make matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 10:23 AM

4 Comments:

Jes wear a helmet, okey dokey?

PS - If it's jest a dream, you don't gotta wear a helmet there.
Blogger Anne Johnson, at 8:39 PM  
I loved that book.
Keep your dream alive, dear Jed.
Blogger Newscoma, at 8:40 PM  
I tried to read that book and it made my brain hurt, but it was a great read,, I don't think I ever made it all the way though. I am just not on the same level as you guys and I am so ok w/ that.. :)

I hope you get a bike, just don't end up like my friend Johnny b/c that wasn't his fault.. lots of times it's not the bikers fault.. I don't want to have to ski for extra people who have been hurt in the winter time who have to go to the rehab center.. just fyi...it's about the drivers, not the bikers.. I know that.. I am just worried about that. I guess I will always be scared about that now...but you can't live your life in a closet. Just be careful of us drivers!!
Blogger Julie, at 10:41 PM  
Jed, I'd love to find out the history of that Super Hawk. I owned one just like that from 1968 to 1971. It was a great bike!

Funny thing is, note that this bike has a chrome fender. Super Hawks came with black, painted fenders. My dad worked in chrome plate at a GMC truck plant. He took mine to work, stripped them and chrome plated them..... Could it be?
Blogger Great White Bear,, at 7:50 PM  

Add a comment