Thursday, February 15, 2007

Coin Act of 2005

It looks like we are getting a new coin. I understand it came out today. I am excited on one hand and worried on the other. I guess I will expand on the worry first because it is more interesting.

Does this mean inflation is real and now we have a penny colored reminder? Will the symbol of our currency the paper dollar fade into the past? No more first dollar made posted on the small business wall? No more pubs with dollars stapled up with patrons markings on them?

If they don't take the paper dollar out of circulation the coin will fail like it has before. I don't want this kind of change (pun intended)!

For some reason this feels like it will make matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 6:23 PM

7 Comments:

The tooth fairy leaves dollar coins at our house because: 1. they look like treasure and 2. the children don't like to spend them. I spent many night searching corner stores before I learned the post office gives Susan B's as vending machine change. More dollar coin choices will make the tooth fairy's life easier.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  
That is a good point! Thanks for the fun thought Cathy!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 7:35 PM  
why can't we be creative like the Canadians and give our dollar coins a catchy name, like Lonies. Perhaps we could put Bush on the coin and call them Dumbya's.
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 1:44 PM  
I like Sacajawea. Who's that dude in the wig? The only place I ever see these is at the El. You put in paper, the machine spits out coins. You put the coins in the machine for the train ticket. Tell me that makes sense.
Blogger Anne Johnson, at 5:02 PM  
When I was living in the UK, it was hard getting used to carrying those little bitty change purses. Which is what you end up doing when there isn't a pound note. Pockets become really important. We probably won't see them taking the dollar bill away. I think we are just as stubborn about our currency as the Brits are about theirs.
Blogger Rosie, at 2:58 PM  
I remember they called those Maggie Thatcher coins because they're (a) thick, (b) rough-edged, and (c) act like a sovereign.

Rodger cunningham
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  
Well written article.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 AM  

Add a comment