Sunday, December 10, 2006

Because it is there


I guess we could worry about how much effort and money (which are the same thing really) we spend on sending humans out there where no man has gone before. We can say there are many problems we need to focus on here with our energy, but I am thinking that is short sighted.

I support what NASA is doing. I think that many great things have come from exploration...of everything. When I think about how we solve problems as semi-hairless apes here on earth, I find we do our best work when we are looking around. I know when I am placed in a situation where I need to come up with a solution I discover the best answer when I look at it from the corner of my eye while I do something else. It seems useless when you think of all the work people do looking at tiny plants and animals under a microscope, but it brings us to understanding the way our body gets attacked by them and what we can do to fight back. A lot of cures and products were found by serendipity while we were looking around. Many things have come from the space program, and I am not just talking about Tang or WD-40, I am talking about improvements that make everything better that we build and grow. If we can figure a way to live on the moon, in orbit or Mars and cope with harsh environs and grow things to eat while we are there, we can help the way we live here.

I know that the exploration of space will yield someday a new way to produce and store energy that is as clean as triple distilled water. I know people are in deep need today for basic things, but I also know it will only get worse if we don't reach out far for answers. I saw that the earth has about five billion humans on it now and if it continues at current rates it will be fifteen billion in less than one hundred years from now. That is some crazy numbers stuff that most likely can't happen before some herd thinning calamity, but the potential is real.

So I say it can't make matters worse to look around we might stumble into something wonderful.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 11:57 AM

5 Comments:

Thanks bd, I hear so much around here about what a stupid idea it is to spend money on space from the same fruitcakes who support the Iraq bull shiite...at least space travel only takes a life every now and then Bagdad takes dozens a day.
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 10:03 AM  
NASA has to be one of the most efficient spenders of tax money in government. they do more with a few million than most folks know.
and they keep their visions pointed at the stars and the univerese rather than pointed down into gleaming pools of oil and gold.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 PM  
Well said Joe, as always you wordsmith!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 3:55 PM  
I'd a heck sight rather see my tax dollars go into space than into shooting at brown people. Some of my happiest memories are of watching the space launches on t.v. when I was a kid. We're talking John Glenn here. I am a geezer.
Blogger Anne Johnson, at 4:26 PM  
And hopefully we'll run into some cool race of aliens like the Vulcans, who will help show us that there is a better way to live.

(Sorry- the Trek geek in me has to come out every once in awhile.)
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo, at 10:51 PM  

Add a comment