Monday, June 19, 2006

Bite a coin


If you are like me you spend a great deal of your money by using your handy-dandy Visa debit card, but sometimes you just want to hand the clerk a twenty and handle the money a little while. I started seeing these folks mark up the bill with a little felt tip pen to make sure I had not printed the thing off on my printer. This made me start thinking of a time where folks would bite on a coin to see if it was a soft precious metal of worth. Further my thoughts went into the waste of time and money we the people spent on making our new fancy color shifting ink, watermarking, micro printing and fancy plastic magnetic strips just to go back to biting the coin.

The more things change the more they go backwards it seems as if it is making matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 10:59 PM

3 Comments:

Pretty soon seems money will be obsolete, and we will use 'credits' we have in the bank,, like our debit cards do for us each day.
Blogger Julie, at 7:21 AM  
I agree with that Julie. I fear that it will seriously damage our ability to shop where we want, to support independent artists and donate to causes we support. Not to mention that our government will have an easier time tracking and keeping files on us and who we are.

That might be an alarmist point of view, but as far as our government has gone in the last twenty years- nothing they do surprises me anymore.
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo, at 8:41 PM  
Whenever I carry paper money my youngest daughter snatches it. And no matter how much it is, she spends that sucker down to the last nibbled penny.
Blogger Anne Johnson, at 6:10 PM  

Add a comment