Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Wickerman 2005



We went to the annual Wicker Man burning that my dearest friends host. It gains the name from a movie, but it has a background like Burning Man Festival held in Nevada. It has further history, as told by Julius Caeser in one brief story, of the Welsh burning effigies made of wicker (it's important to note he was at war with the Welsh so this was most likely propaganda). Some vague pagan stories are also part of the lineage in this fall fellowship.

Wiki-wiki and Google it if you are interested in this sort of thing. I wanted to account this event from a Jed's eye view.

I have told you of my dear friend who builds awesome horse jumps in a previous post. This event was started by his wife years ago. I cannot remember when exactly she posed this gathering...such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there (to quote R. Hunter and Phil Lesh).


For me, the gathering is a fine visit with my creative friends around a fire in the cool fall evening. The hostess has always proclaimed putting things to rest in the flame to rid us all of bad mojo for the year. I never let it burn away my demons as I have been instructed; I must like my boogie men close to me where I can keep an eye on them.


The theme this year was a "wicker womb" and it was built by the ladies. It stood about ten feet high, with boobs and a womb cavity (see photo with Mt. Girl inside).

I am so very blessed to have a collection of friends who are filled to the brim with imagination. I gain so much creative energy from this group. I am humble in the shadow of their many talents, but feel I am a part of the tribe there.

Burning up some bad feelings can't make matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 3:06 AM

2 Comments:

Looks like a great time. Reminds me of the "Dancing at Lughnasa" harvest festival that takes place in Ireland. I especially like the photo of Mt. Girl.
Blogger red molly, at 10:01 PM  
Two hot ladies!!
hate I missed all the excitment.
there was some in elkmont,, pissed off the camping neighbors who asked if we had ever camped before, and the colleges kids driving around on top of their yukon stripping on the roof.
Blogger Julie, at 8:13 AM  

Add a comment