Saturday, November 12, 2005

Big People Day Care


From here to there and there to here, funny things are everywhere.

We stopped in at our local tavern for some food, a beer and a game of darts tonight. We found this little car in the parking lot. I Jedited the tag to protect the persons identity.

I have always had this observation about middle aged pubs being like day care for big people. I am sure this is not an original idea, but it is funny none the less. I had this goal of visiting every little dive in the greater Knox county area (nine countys one vision) freshly after I was divorced. I did not go to get plastered on beer, just doing some people watching and finding my new place as a semi-homeless person. I started to notice how the frosty mugs were like the tinker toys in a room of pre-schoolers. Some people were being moved away from other people to help keep the peace. Snacks were passed out and everyone was watching everyone. Scratchy music was the background din under people saying the same phrases over and over to make one another laugh. I can proudly say that I achieved my goal of hitting 99% of all the little drinkin' spots in several countys including the brothel bars (before the feds shut 'em down) in Cocke County, the gay bars (hoping some man might buy me a round...never happened though too many hetro vibes I guess) and the Black bars in east Knox county.

Whenever I would find someone wanting to cause trouble I could quickly disarm the situation by saying, "I do not want to go back to jail", or "This does not seem worth either of us losing a tooth does it?". I would not play anything on the sound machine even if there was no music playing because that was the source of much conflict with the patrons and I knew it would only make matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 12:01 AM

3 Comments:

I wish I had thought of putting that on my car.

Very good observations,, day care, night care,, for adults... yes I do believe that is true. I tell ya, I sho do miss The Duck Inn in Muryville.
Blogger Julie, at 8:07 PM  
Is that the little place called "Joy Motel" downtown? I always thought that was a funny name.
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 6:40 PM  
Joy motel, tee hee, wonder if that is true.
The Duck Inn was in Alcoa by the airport.. it closed back in 1995 or so.. actually ended a relationship of mine,,guess all we had was the 'duck' together. oh well. that is a sad state of 'affairs'
Blogger Julie, at 9:15 AM  

Add a comment