Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Peaceful Sort


Thich Nhat Hanh is an odd little man. He goes around advocating peace (he ain’t going to make much cash that way). He led a gathering in the City of Angels last Saturday where the marchers were silent. No hate words on poster boards or catchy chants.

To give you a little look at his pattern of thought where he applies peace and love here are some quotes:

“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”

“In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change.”

“In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.”

“We really have to understand the person we want to love. If our love is only a will to possess, it is not love. If we only think of ourselves, if we know only our own needs and ignore the needs of the other person, we cannot love.”

“People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong. Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those things and make them bloom?”

I have an old friend who before she decided to dislike me would say, "Be here NOW", I think she was reading this guy's books at the time.

As you know Jed is not a Buddhist, but I do like his words and his actions. He is admired by me because he is not trying to make matters worse. I'll bet he has his share of folks who don't like him because they want to, just like me.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 1:01 AM

7 Comments:

I don't know, if you know, that I know don is a teacher and buddy is a friend. So you are friend and teacher to me buddy don.
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 5:44 AM  
Jed, Like buddy don I too was hoping you would have your own blog and have been captivated by your posts since you started blogging. Your substance and structure is some of the best you could meet in a day’s blog. Even though both you and buddy don put me to shame with my higgledy-piggledy posts, I continue to be inspired by the topics you both write about.

Great post…it’s too bad there aren’t more people in this world like Thich Nhat Hanh.
Blogger red molly, at 8:20 AM  
RM, I think you are one of thoes people! I like reading your "higgledy-piggledy posts", your view enhances my view of this world...you gotta know that. Besides I don't get to type higgledy-piggledy too often, well this is the first time actually...I am gonna use it some now though. You rock Red!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 11:01 PM  
I love that little buddhist man! He is something else. I love me some dali lama too. I like that jed and his wife and red molly and that hillbilly man too.
I don't know why people want to dislike others. Maybe it's b/c we get afraid.
Blogger Julie, at 10:02 PM  
Fear drive hatred to be sure, Julie. I love me some peace lovin people myself! Rock On, Chick!
Blogger Mountain Girl, at 12:34 AM  
“In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.”

I love this quote! You can be sure it will show up on my blog sonn. proper attributions, of course!
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 12:49 PM  
Be Here Now is the title of a Ram Dass book. I bet you would dig it. Look for it. Positive Vibes your way.

-Incog Neato ;)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 AM  

Add a comment