Friday, September 02, 2005

Writing spiders

I was huffing a much needed tobacco treat (on break today) counting my blessings, whittling on my worries and feeling plain tired of all the troubles inside and out. I was trying very hard to shake that "Atlas with one arm tied behind his back" feeling while watching and sharing my smoke with a spider. This was not just any spider it was a writing spider. If you are from a part of the world that does not have a spider like this (photo below I ripped from some place on google images) I want to share a kids tall tale that was circulating amongst us 8 to 12 year olds and I assume it still is, in some form over in Hamblen County.



We were always told that if your name was voiced in the witness of a writing spider the creature would inscribe your name on her web and you would soon meet your doom. As we got older the tale would grow with our power to reason, in hopes of keeping the fear/torment alive for the pleasure of picking on smaller younger kids (just passing along what we suffered). We had an answer for every question a kid would ask about the eight-legged monster.

Yes, of course we would try and get rid of school teachers by talking loud about mean ole Mrs. ________ while looking at the eerie little blood sucker (left blank so Jed does not suffer anymore karma running over his dogma accidents).

Example:
"That ain't names that’s just a squiggly line!", the new kid remarks.

Older kid replies, "Have you ever seen them newspapers that stuffs fireworks boxes?".

"Yes", says the doubting kid.

"Can you read that Chi-knees writing?", asked the wise kid.
Before the new kid could reply the wise kid blurts out, "Well then, why do you think you'd be able to read spider writin' then?

This is the earliest form of a web log.


It is a crazy world out there...you know what you have to do to fit in. Please don't fit in, it will only make matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 1:48 PM

4 Comments:

You are so clever with your web writing.
Blogger red molly, at 1:03 PM  
LOL.. great story!

Just checked out your design site. Loved the T-shirt designs!
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 1:50 PM  
Hey Now! I have been so lucky having good folks stopping by my little blog. I have been reading blogs for a long time and I always thought I could not add anything to the already massive internets.

This has made me feel more individual than I could have ever guessed. I am the only person in the world who has lived my life...ever! I don't know why it was fuzzy before.

I like you people your not like all the other people here in the trailer park!

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and view my simple drawings.

You are my inspiration when I read your pages.
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 3:21 PM  
lol great stroy im 14 ill pass it on to my lil brother *sniker*
Blogger blogster, at 5:47 PM  

Add a comment