Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Who to do












It is getting near that time of year for me to start thinking of who to place on our Jack-O-Lantern. Last year was Ray Charles and before that was Johnny Cash. I always try to find a person who passed in the year from Halloween to Halloween. I look for an artist, netural in politics, someone who is very well known by their face. Bob Denver "Gilligan" passed today.
So he is likely for our pumpkin. I am working on a pattern I will have to darken one side of his face in order to bridge all the parts.. (see image)


I was considering Hunter S. Thompson "Gonzo", but his face is not very well known and I could not very well do the Ralph Steadman version from "Fear and Loathing".

Looking for ideas here! Think on it for me.


UPDATE: I think on review and comments and reading GWB's post that Bob Denver was marooned with the "Gilligan" face, but he prefered the "Maynard G. Krebs" face. These projects are to honor the dead so I think if I do Mr. Denver I
will do this one.

As always, trying not to make matters worse!
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 10:09 PM

13 Comments:

Johnny Carson?
Blogger red molly, at 10:59 PM  
Wow - I am seriously impressed. The most ambitious thing I ever did on a pumpkin was a raven - like "quoth the raven", but on the big day everybody said. "Why'd you carve a chicken on your pumpkin?"
Blogger Vol Abroad, at 2:56 AM  
Your carvings are always amazing, Jed.
Johnny Carson and Bob Denver seem like good choices, but since you asked, here is my list of suggestions:
(I excluded Brando and Reagan, since
they died in summer 2004)

Susan Sontag (dec 2004)
Anne Bancroft
James Doohan (preferably the young Scotty and not the old Scotty)
Eddie Albert
Howard Morris (best known as Ernest T Bass)
Frank Gorshin
Little Milton
Peter Jennings
Thurl Ravenscroft (no one knows his face, but he was voice of Tony the Tiger and sang You're A
Mean One, Mr Grinch.)
or my fave for creepy Halloween image
Terri Schiavo
but i wish you could do one of
Dr Hunter S Thompson
Blogger Joe Powell, at 3:36 AM  
RM, was looking at Carson this week he had a very smooth face and sort of hard to find features that would make him look like himself on a punkin'. If I find a photo I can use I think he is the best known one I could do. Gilligan and Gonzo touched Jed's life pretty hard, and I was conceived during the Tonight Show.

I am like Vol, I don't want the big day to be: "Who is the pie faced guy on your punkin?"

Joe that is an awesome list! Eddie Albert would be the very best combo of well known and the good features of his face would render well. Schiavo would get my car egged and the yard rolled. The grinch would be a fun one as well. Scottie has that smooth face thing too.

Thanks for the input y'all!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 7:11 AM  
You know you are older than dirt when the said Bob Denver passed and my first thought was Oh no, Maynard G. Krebs is gone. My second thought was holy shit, Maynard and Dobie Gillis are 70!

For those of us a bit beyond fifty, Denver will always be that loveable beatnik on the MANY LIVES OF DOBIE GILLIS. Gilligan was for you youngsters!
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 12:09 PM  
For us kiddies Gilligan at last got of the island...going now to Google Dobie Gillis for ideas.
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 3:12 PM  
you are right, sadly, about violence following a schaivo punkin.
maybe you could do the gonzo logo for the image?
otherwise, i'm gonna go Gilligan.
Blogger Joe Powell, at 4:38 PM  
I LOVE the Maynard G Krebs face! Pretty sure Denver would have too!
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 11:59 AM  
my favorite line from Krebs, complete with his voice cracking into a falsetto about halfway thru the word: "Work?"

Great work by the way, Jed.
Blogger Joe Powell, at 7:10 PM  
My favorite Maynard line. When Dobie would get exasperated he'd tell Maynard it was time for him to go home and feed his Iguana. Kreb's would reply "he don't need me to feed him, Dobe. He knows how to open the refrigerator"
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 9:45 PM  
Well done!
[url=http://lxfbwlje.com/tutq/rytu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://glybwyze.com/bfpz/pkjj.html]Cool site[/url]
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 AM  
Great work!
My homepage | Please visit
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 AM  
Nice site!
http://lxfbwlje.com/tutq/rytu.html | http://kxsorozt.com/wcwc/ljtf.html
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 AM  

Add a comment