Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Old News Is News to Me!

I received this e-mail yesterday, and I was shocked!
Then I was in awww? (text below is Jedited to shorten post)
(Image bastardized by Jed)


America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best.

WWII Story:

During a dialog on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson", Johnny's
guest was Lee Marvin. Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are
unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima...
and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy
Cross and were severely wounded."
"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. But, Johnny,
at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew...
We both got the cross the same day, but what he did for his
Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. This guy actually
stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get
the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by, with mortar rounds landing
everywhere and he stood there as the main target.
Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever
knew. The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know
him as Captain Kangaroo."

Vietnam Story:

Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam
with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and
therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life. He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.


Gullible Jed was eating this up, until I did a little Wikipedia and Google search. I found only a half truth of Lee Marvin getting a purple heart and Bob Keeshan did serve in the Marines. I do not find where Mr. Rogers ever held a weapon, except the "Great Sword of The Word" (the Holy Bible).


Why expand on a persons life who already achieved so much good work? Pass some of it down to little fellers like Jed. I mean when you are low, folks embellish how even lower you are, and when your high people embellish how much higher you are.

What th'!!! Talk about making matters worse!
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 9:09 AM

3 Comments:

I will have to be careful and not over use it. Thanks for the visit!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 12:22 AM  
Gotta admit, you had me for a minute there. :)
Blogger Unknown, at 6:22 AM  
Hey Ken, Thanks for the visit!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 8:24 AM  

Add a comment