Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My Friend Joe

Come and listen to a story about a man named Joe. He and I were cohorts in our old job installing flag poles and signs.

I did this little Demo CD cover for his four song demo. from a photo I shot on one of our worksites. He did not want a cover picture of him with a shovel on his guitar demo, but I sold him on the fact that everyone with one of these demos is a face holding a dreadnought or a strat. I hope the image helps him get noticed in a stack of demo discs. In fact I wanted to use the full shot I posterized to accent the colors in a flash sort of way. We agreed on the one above.

He and I would dig in the direct sunlight of a sweltering Tennessee summer day and love every moment of it. He did many impressions of actors and folks we both knew as we slaved. He has an impeccable ear for voices (both human and instruments). I remember one from "The Outlaw Josey Wales" the old indian sidekick: "All I have is this piece of rock candy, but it is not for eatin' its just for looking through". It still cracks me up to think of Joe and I with blood blisters and bee stings, giggling in delirium. Joe, hand me the DeWalt... "All I have is this piece of rock candy..."

Joe has a job with Rivr Media doing grip work and hoping to get connected to a spot in their music department. I miss working with this bright soul every day.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 10:00 PM

2 Comments:

ditto to buddy don. Tennessee Jed, you took a simple photo and turned it into a piece of art...that's talent. I like the blueish-tone hair and the fonts are great. Good luck to your friend Joe.
Blogger red molly, at 8:14 AM  
Thanks guys, you know how it is in life...being able to pay bills on what you love doing...not a reality for most. I know this wonderful writer of songs and hillbilly stories, who works for a bank, whoed-a-thunk-it, darn shame.

Molly, Joe has a very salty, salt and pepper hair color normaly. Add a little rock dust, concrete and clay...poof everyone looks like a stone carving.
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 2:40 PM  

Add a comment