Monday, August 22, 2005

Generation Gap

I know I must be getting old because popular culture is starting to seem so crude and lacking imagination. I site this song as one of the pieces of work.

The Whisper Song...and it gets radio play 'cause they whisper.


Hey how you doin lil mama? lemme whisper in your ear
Tell you sumthing that you might like to hear
You got a sexy *ss body and your *ss look soft
Mind if I touch it? and see if its soft
Naw I'm jus playin' unless you say I can
And im known to be a real nasty man
And they say a closed mouth dont get fed
So I don't mind asking for head
You heard what I said,
we need to make our way to the bed
And you can start usin' yo head
You like to f*ck, have your legs open all in da butt.....

It gets much more crude from here (Google it for yourself).

I just think creative stuff should insinuate life and allude to acts. I tell my little girls that it takes very little effort to be common like this, aim higher (that should not be too hard with this example set).

Sylvia Plath did this one and it is hot. A metric ton more creative in contrast.

There is a panther stalks me down: One day I'll have my death of him;
His greed has set the woods aflame, He prowls more lordly than the sun.
Most soft, most suavely glides that step, Advancing always at my back;
From gaunt hemlock, rooks croak havoc: The hunt is on, and sprung the trap.
Flayed by thorns I trek the rocks, Haggard through the hot white noon.
Along red network of his veins What fires run, what craving wakes?

Insatiate, he ransacks the land Condemned by our ancestral fault,
Crying: blood, let blood be spilt; Meat must glut his mouth's raw wound.
Keen the rending teeth and sweet The singeing fury of his fur;
His kisses parch, each paw's a briar, Doom consummates that appetite.
In the wake of this fierce cat, Kindled like torches for his joy,
Charred and ravened women lie, Become his starving body's bait.

Now hills hatch menace, spawning shade; Midnight cloaks the sultry grove;
The black marauder, hauled by love On fluent haunches, keeps my speed.
Behind snarled thickets of my eyes Lurks the lithe one; in dreams' ambush
Bright those claws that mar the flesh And hungry, hungry, those taut thighs.
His ardor snares me, lights the trees, And I run flaring in my skin;
What lull, what cool can lap me in When burns and brands that yellow gaze?

I hurl my heart to halt his pace, To quench his thirst I squander blood;
He eats, and still his need seeks food, Compels a total sacrifice.
His voice waylays me, spells a trance, The gutted forest falls to ash;
Appalled by secret want, I rush From such assault of radiance.
Entering the tower of my fears, I shut my doors on that dark guilt,
I bolt the door, each door I bolt. Blood quickens, gonging in my ears:

The panther's tread is on the stairs, Coming up and up the stairs.


You know me, I am just trying not to make matters worse.
:: posted by Tennessee Jed, 9:34 PM

4 Comments:

man, we're just getting old. our parent said all the same things about our music, and now they're "classics". But don't feel bad, I hear myself saying the same things to my daughter that I despised when my folks said them to me!

And there is a lot of really good music out there from talented young musicians. You may just have to listen to your local college station to hear them.

My current favorites: Wilco, Mendozza Line, Arcade Fire, Umphreys McGee, Digby, The Nationals, Bloc Party

most of these band have a download or two on their websites, and if you are a Salon subscriber, they have daily downloads with really great songs!
Blogger greatwhitebear, at 11:51 PM  
We call it 'Generation Crap' in our house.
Blogger red molly, at 8:34 AM  
Gen C, R. Molly...I like it!

bd, you are just the smartest man I ever knowed!

GWB, I keep meaning to link to you, when I get time to whittle on my template. Yea, I think it is a pretty good time for music too! I like Green Day and Beck to add to your good list.

Thanks for coming over to Jed's place!
Blogger Tennessee Jed, at 4:42 PM  
Beck rocks!! and i was thinking just the other day that Green Day's "When September Ends" is more about 9-11, and this shitty fearful country we are becoming and how it ruins us all, this war and fear and hate, especially when i saw the video of the kid going to war -- pop tunes like "Sugar, Sugar" or "Whisper" make 10 year olds dance and laugh and make record sales, but the other stuff fills folks lives!
ps
i'm ready for a flight to Mars anyday, jobs or not!!
ya'll take care
Blogger Joe Powell, at 11:12 PM  

Add a comment